Pages

An Open Cookbook

An Open Cookbook

10.27.2010

Coconut Date Rolls

I recently bought a huge five pound box of pitted dates with the intention to re-create Lara Bars.  I also recently received a five pound bag of raw almonds...so I was perfectly set up to make them!  I actually intended to make little bars shapes, but once I started to puree them, I remembered these date desserts that T made a long time ago.

Thanks to R, I have this lovely plate!

A few highlights about this recipe are:

It is so easy.  It literally took under 10 minutes from start to finish.  It requires three ingredients: dates, almonds and coconut.




They are pretty darn healthy.  Besides the coconut being sweetened, all three ingredients are good sources fiber.  I happened to have bought sweetened coconut last week for cookies that required it, so I used it.  But unsweetened would probably be just fine too, considering how sweet the dates are.

This recipe can be used multiple ways.  You can form them into roll or ball shapes like these.  You can also press it into the bottom of a pie pan and be used as a crust for something like an ice cream pie.  All those new coconut milk ice creams would be so good as the filling.  You can also form it into small bar shapes and have it as a energy-type bar or snack. 

*Possible substitions or additions could be dried apples, cashews, carob powder or dried cherries. 


Coconut Date Rolls
Makes 2 dozen rolls

2 cups pitted dates
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened

Put all ingredients into food processor or blender.  Pulse until fully pureed.  Form into whatever shape you like or press into pie pan.  Refrigerate or freeze in container large enough to keep them separated.  Easy!







4 comments:

Wendy said...

What a lovely presentation! The balls look delicious!

Alli Shircliff said...

Thanks Wendy..I think it is the plate that makes the picture!

Haley said...

YUMM!! So simple, yet so delicious-looking! Too bad dates are SO expensive in Hawai'i, though. We'll have to splurge ;).

Also, using it as a crust = BEST. IDEA. EVER. I seriously think I'm going to take you up on that offer. I'm meant to put a cake together for my friend's bday next week and Ben and I have been trying to figure out how we can WOW our friends with a sugar/dairy/wheat free pie.

YOU JUST MADE MY DAY!!!

Alli Shircliff said...

Thanks for the comment Haley! I got the crust idea from a raw potluck I went to, where he used that same concept on a tahini and strawberry puree based "ice cream" pie. OMG was it good!