Pages

An Open Cookbook

An Open Cookbook

4.19.2011

Tangy Garbanzo Bean Olive Spread


My inspiration for new recipes is often sparked  from running in circles.  One of my midday treats is working out on the elliptical during lunch while watching the Food Network.  A few weeks ago, while I was sweating over Italian cooking, Giadi gave the idea of introducing hummus to tapenade.  This was the most brilliant combination I had heard since sweet potato biscuits.

As the olive enthusiast I have become, they have made permanent residence in my refrigerator.  Many of this recipe's ingredients have.  So last night I ran into the grocery for some lemons, and I was ready to set up camp at the food processor.

I pretty much kept to what she recommended for ingredients.  Except that I changed the black olives to green.  The black definitely make it a deep rich color, but I am still tip toeing around black olives.  Green are my staple.  But by all means, try it with black, such as kalamata.  I doubled the parsley, just because I love it and have a huge bunch on hand.  Thirdly, she calls for fresh rosemary.  I would never use a whole package of fresh, so I just cut the amount to a third of what she suggested and used dried. 

But what a tangy treat this is...and so versatile.  It can be used on a sandwich, as a dip, in an omelet, or simply eaten straight from the spoon.  I had it on apple slices with provolone today.  Perfectly satisfying post-workout treat.




Tangy Garbanzo Bean Olive Spread
From Giada De Laurentiis- Giada at Home
Yields about 2 cups

1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup olives, pitted (green or black)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, fresh and plucked from stem
1 tsp lemon zest
2 Tbsp lemon juice, from fresh lemon 
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp rosemary, dried
1/4 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth.  Can be used as a dip for crackers and vegetables, spread on baguette with cheese or in an omelet with feta.


No comments: