Pages

An Open Cookbook

An Open Cookbook

10.06.2010

Roasted Golden Beet Salad



This recipe was inspired by my best friend B in Washington D.C.  She sent me a picture of a beet salad she made last week, and I haven't been able to get it off my mind.  Beets are one of those vegetables that I have recently rediscovered.  About seven years ago, my roommates and I got really into juicing.  And I had been learning at school all the beneficial effects of beets.  So one night, I pulled out my juicer, and juiced a pint glass-worth of raw beet juice.  And oh my..was it an astringent drink.  I felt like my top lip was permenantly pushed up to the top of my teeth like a rabbit.   I now HIGHLY recommend roasting.


But a few years passed and I was working in a restaurant where they served a golden beet salad.  So I slowly eased back into beets.  But I still wasn't buying them, just eating them at restaurants.



A few weeks ago, T (of ATM) and I made a delicious roasted beet and feta salad, which made me realize how easy they are to make.  As long as you plan ahead, the cooking process is so easy, because the oven does most of the work.  You simply wash and peel the beets.  Slice into halves or quarters, depending on how big they are.  Put in foil.  Add a little olive oil, salt and pepper and wrap loosely with a good seal. 



After they are done, you can slice and serve in a salad with feta or goat cheese, so that it melts slightly.  Or store them in the fridge to use later.  Add to salads, eat sliced by themselves or puree into a soup.

Roasted Golden Beet Salad

1 bunch golden beets, washed, peeled and halved or quartered
Olive oil, salt and pepper to coat

Mixed greens
Goat cheese
Walnuts
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Take the stems and greens off the beets.  The greens are edible and make a great addition to salads and stirfry.  Wash the beets thoroughly.  Using a vegetable peeler, carefully peel.  Cut off tops where stems came from.  Cut beets in half or quarters, depending on size.   Place in foil.  Top lightly with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Wrap loosely, but making sure to make a good seal with foil, because the juices can leak out.  I placed my foil package on top of a baking sheet in the oven just in case of leaking.

Roast for about an hour.  Carefully (very hot inside) open package to check on them.  They are done when you can easily slice with knife.  Let cool.  Slice into half circle shapes. 

Assemble mixed greens, goat cheese, walnuts and sliced beets.  Top with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.  Wow.  You and your guests will be amazed!






4 comments:

Haley said...

I love love love beet salads with goat cheese! Mmm. Have you tried Heather's super simple balsamic dressing? It goes really well with beet salads too!

We actually have some beets in our garden that really need to be harvested. I'm thinking now's a good time ;)

rmz said...

i didn't see this until just now. love it! can't wait to make it. can't stop laughing about your rabbit lip.

Wendy said...

this looks AMAZING.

Alli Shircliff said...

Thanks jzt and Wendy..let me know what you think! (love the alter egos)