Pages

An Open Cookbook

An Open Cookbook

1.11.2011

Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic in Green Onion Dressing


Do you ever have one of those weekends where by night you realize you haven't had one vegetable all day?  I had one such weekend, especially on Saturday.  Although it was vegetable free...it was very action packed.  First we went over to one of E's friends houses to watch the Seahawks game.  In no way do I call myself a football fan, but it was such an exciting game!  Filled with Seattle pride, we left the party to go watch my friend K in a roller derby competition.   They were on a tilted track, which multiples the degree of difficulty by at least ten.  This was one of the most exciting sporting events I have ever watched.  I got a glimpse of what it must feel like to be a football fan...with my heart racing, yelling out words that I didn't even know would escape my mouth, jumping up uncontrollably.  What a rush!

And then to finish the night off, we went to M and J's house for a Christmas in January White Elephant party.  There were about twenty of us there, so the competitive stakes were high.  I started off with a great sushi dish set.  Although I don't eat sushi, I loved the bright turquoise color.  But one thing I have learned is not to get too connected to the prize until the game is over...because alas, the dishes were swiped away from me.  Then I stole a dessert bag filled with chocolate covered corn nuts, peppermint chocolate bar and salted caramels.  E took a set of three bamboo cutting boards, got them stolen and then stole them back...which I am hoping he will share one with me.


So after a day of pizza, hot pretzels and bacon wrapped dates, I wanted a vegetable filled dinner last night.  I wanted something with easy prep, healthy and flavorful.  So on my menu planning bus ride home I came up with roasted cauliflower.   And thought roasted garlic would add a rich dimension.  So I got home, turned on the oven, and roasted the garlic while I got the kitchen in order.

First I chopped up the califlower into medium and small sized pieces and tossed them with oil, salt and pepper.  Then I used my new Silpat to cover the baking sheet.  A Silpat is a re-usable mat you put on the baking sheet for roasting, baking cookies or whatever your heart desires...wonderful!


While they were roasting, I made the dressing with vinegar, mustard, green onions and oil.  Nice, light and flavorful.  The cauliflower roasted for about 30 minutes at 430 degrees, and then I bumped the heat up to broil for about 10 more minutes.  Then I tossed them with the dressing and roasted garlic for a warm and filling dinner rounded out with a glass of red.

Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic in Green Onion Dressing

1 garlic bulb
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

1 head of cauliflower, cut into small pieces
Olive oil to coat
Salt and pepper to taste

3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 green onion, chopped
3 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 430 degrees.  Cut a small cross section off the top of a bulb of garlic, so a small part of each clove is showing.  Place in a square of foil.  Drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper on top.  Wrap garlic up in the foil.  Place in oven for about 45 minutes. 

Meanwhile, prep the cauliflower by cutting it into small pieces.  Toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Spread onto a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat.  (The cauliflower can share the oven with the garlic.) Bake for 40 minutes at 430 degrees.  Toss a few times to distribute the heat.  After 30 minutes, turn on broiler and cook for about 10 more minutes, more or less depending on your oven.  Cook until cauliflower is beginning to brown.

Prep the dressing by whisking the vinegar, mustard, onions, salt and pepper.  Gradually stir in the olive oil and whisk thoroughly.

Remove each of the garlic cloves from the bulb. 

Toss the cauliflower with the garlic and enough dressing to coat fully.  There will likely be leftover dressing.  You can save this for a salad or more roasted vegetables.

Enjoy!

No comments: