Pages

An Open Cookbook

An Open Cookbook

2.23.2011

Sweet Breakfast Quinoa

Hold onto your hats everyone, because this is one tasty breakfast.  I had it this morning and it sweetened my whole morning.  Each bite was a different taste.  One bite would be a citrus sesame while the next a coconut quinoa almond.  I basically raided my fridge, freezer and cabinet for ingredients to mix and flavor the quinoa.


There are so many good recipes out there right now using grains at breakfast, like breakfast couscous.  That seems to be the most popular...and is delicious too.  I went with quinoa because that earthy taste was calling to me from the box in the cabinet.  But use whatever you have on hand...couscous, rice, barley, what have you. 

What a great way to use those leftover grains from dinner last night.  So next time you are cooking grains, reserve a little without a savory flavoring so you can use it in the morning for breakfast.  And use any fruit, yogurt, milk or nut mixture that suits your palate.   And feel free to use more or less of any of the ingredients listed in the recipe.



Sweet Breakfast Quinoa
Yields 1 healthy serving

1 cup prepared quinoa
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp honey
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp ground flax seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 Tbsp shredded coconut
1 Tbsp almonds, raw and chopped
2 small oranges, peeled and sliced
Dollop of plain yogurt

Combine the quinoa, cinnamon, vanilla, honey and coconut into a microwave safe bowl.  Heat for about a minute.  Remove from microwave and evenly stir.   Add flax seeds, sesame seeds, coconut shreds, almonds and oranges.  Top with yogurt.  Enjoy every sweet bite!






4 comments:

Jen Maydan said...

I have been loving red quinoa lately. I think using it for breakfast is a fabulous idea!

Alli Shircliff said...

Red quinoa is so good! I like mixing the white and red...so pretty :)

Haley said...

Mmmm! I've been seeing a lot of breakfast grains as well lately. I'm so stuck on my steel cut oats, though, lol.

Maybe I'll have to get out of my rut.

Alli Shircliff said...

Oats are always a good choice..maybe you can ease in and do both quinoa and oats!