Pages

An Open Cookbook

An Open Cookbook

3.10.2011

Herbed White Bean Salad

Continuing on with the tapas theme...I went out for tapas on Monday night and had a Spanish tortilla.  It was a very simple one with sliced potatoes, complemented with a glass of red wine.  I also had a lot of the prune filling leftover from the last post, so I have been spreading it on bread and using as a dip for cucumbers. 

This way of cooking and eating really does spark the creative flame in me.  I bought these Great Northern beans last week because they were on sale at QFC...two cans for a dollar!  Really can't beat that.  I have been saving money here and there lately because of all the plane tickets and home improvement tools that my credit card keeps buying.   I see it as a good balance...reorganize the apartment and then take a trip to celebrate.


So back to the recipe.  I ate these beans with the radish and cucumber salad I made last week.  I repeated the recipe for the beans twice afterwards because I had a lot leftover.  And it is a pretty darn easy dish to whip up for a snack, side dish or you could add chicken and veggies and make it a whole meal...whichever way you choose.

Herbed White Bean Salad
Yields about 2-2 1/2 cups


1 can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
3 sprigs of mint, de-leafed and minced
1 tbsp dried parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
3 Tbsp white wine vinegar or lime juice
Sprinkling of sugar
2 Tbsp olive oil

*For a lighter dressed salad, cut the dressing recipe in half.

Prepare the dressing first by whisking the mint, parsley, salt and pepper, vinegar and sugar together.  Slowly drizzle the olive oil in, while whisking into a nice dressing.  Adjust flavors or add more sugar if needed.  Place beans in a small to medium size bowl.  Toss with the dressing until all the beans are fully coated.  Enjoy immediately or refrigerate and eat later.

No comments: