Pages

An Open Cookbook

An Open Cookbook

12.14.2011

Simple Roasted Vegetables




Forewarning...this post is a little unconventional in the ingredient measurement department.  Probably like many of you, I have stepped onto the holiday roller coaster with the rare, yet cherished nights of staying in, cooking dinner, having a glass of wine and maybe watching an episode of Mad Men Season 2.   Tonight is one of those nights.  Although I only have thanks and gratitude for all the wonderful events and get togethers that have populated my appointment book...many-a-happy hours, food, holiday parties galore, food events, dinner outings, several dancing opportunities, gift exchanges, food, champagne, charity events, and did I mention food?

I was doing dishes yesterday, and realized I hadn't been home to cook dinner for at least a week...hence, the time lag since last post.  So tonight I am embracing the ability to make one of my favorite dinners...roasted vegetables with a medium cooked egg and a glass of wine.  I mean, you can't get much better than this.  So by unconventional, I mean that I didn't do exact measuring for the mere pleasure of shaking the spice containers over the oil coated vegetables.  So I ask you to do the same...enjoy your evening, throw together this simple dinner and put your feet up...the party is right in your living room.




Simple Roasted Vegetables
Yields 3-4 cups


You are absolutely at liberty...in fact I urge you...to use whatever vegetables you like. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, potatoes, carrots or any of the ones I used roast quite nicely.  Use any of your favorites herbs as well, such as thyme, parsley, basil or rosemary.  The following recipe is my tried and true: lots of garlic powder, salt and pepper.  I think I am always trying to bring a little Black Bottle broccoli flavoring into my kitchen.

7 crimini mushrooms, quartered
1 eggplant, cut into 1/4th inch circles and then cut those in half moon shapes
1 head cauliflower, cut into chunks
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
A heavy-handed sprinkling of garlic powder (about 1 tsp, divided)
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 440 degrees.  Cut the vegetables and place onto a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet.   Drizzle 2 Tbsp olive oil all over the vegetables.  Give them a very generous (about 1/2 tsp) coating of garlic powder.  Sprinkle in salt and pepper.  Using your hands, toss and coat all pieces involved.  Roast for 15 minutes.

Once 15 minutes are up, remove sheet from oven.  Toss the vegetables with a pair of tongs.  Drizzle the remaining Tbsp of olive oil, another 1/2 tsp garlic powder and more salt and pepper.  Toss evenly.  Return to oven for 15 more minutes.

This is a good time to do your dishes, check email, prepare tomorrow's coffee, sip a glass of wine or eat some olives.  When the buzzer goes off, open oven, toss one more time with the tongs.  Return to oven for 10 more minutes.  Repeat above activities as needed.

When the final timer goes off, they should be fully ready for consumption.  Serve alongside your favorite protein, or top with a medium cooked egg like I did.  Divine dining.



No comments: