Pages

An Open Cookbook

An Open Cookbook

1.04.2012

Baked Eggs in Peppers



Happy New Year!  This entry is a virtual version of cracking open a new journal to be greeted with a fresh sheet of paper.  I have very positive feelings for 2012.  Out with the old, in with the new.  I have been welcoming those de-cluttering feelings this past week...in the office, at home and even in my car.  The girls in the kitchen at work just recently emptied all of the cabinets and made a huge pile of appliances, plastic cups, old pastry sheets, etc. which I am gladly taking to the thrift store today, along with my trunk full of 'stuff'.  You see, I have a method to my cleaning madness.  I carefully tear through cabinets, closets, bathroom, storage, shelves and the like.  Then I bag all the goods and place into two piles.  One pile is the 'Get-rid-of-immediately-and-don't-look-back'.  The other is the 'Maybe-not-totally-committed-to-getting-rid-of-immediately', which then goes to the trunk of my car.  These items quietly reside for a few weeks. 

Meanwhile, when I do need to use my trunk, it is clogged with random pillows, bags, jewelry, and more.  If I don't even remember what is in the bags or if I get annoyed by what I see, my car is soon driven to the thrift store to empty.  So today is that day.  I am taking kitchen items from work, and my trunk items, and my coffee maker that I have had since college. 




So in honor of simplifying my apartment, I simplified my dinner last night.  My mom gave me this recipe a few months ago and last night was the perfect time to pull it out of the recipe binder.  It involves two ingredients, and takes minimal time to prep, cook and eat.  If you are in the midst of a busy schedule, or clearing out your closets give this recipe a try.  You will feel nicely full and satisfied and ready to tackle that dusty box labeled 'Miscellaneous' with boa feathers poking out the side.


Baked Eggs in Peppers
Yields 2 servings

This is such a simple healthy way to start your day or evening.  For variety, you can use green, purple and yellow peppers.  It is especially great because of the two ingredient list and involves very little prep time.  Enjoy as is, or atop of a piece of toast or alongside hash browns.

1 red pepper, sliced lengthwise
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Slice the red pepper lengthwise.  Take out the stem, seeds and membranes.  Lay them in a parchment lined oven proof dish.  Carefully crack an egg into each half.  Depending on the size of the red pepper, a little of the egg white may spill over.  Don't fear.  It actually makes for a very enticing overflowing dish.  (See picture above.)  Bake for 10-20 minutes, checking in 5 minute increments, until the whites are fully cooked.  Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes.  Serve for breakfast, lunch, dinner or fancy snack time.



6 comments:

Katy (KatySheCooks) said...

These are so beautiful! I loved baked eggs, and have never thought to prepare them in peppers. Simple & elegant!

Alli Shircliff said...

Thanks Katy! It was the easiest dinner I have made in a long time!

rmz said...

it's 11:45 pm and i'm THIS close to making myself an egg thanks to this...

Alli Shircliff said...

So did you do it? It is well worth the 15 minutes...

Aileen said...

Wonderful! And a very creative way of food presentation. :-)

Alli Shircliff said...

Thanks Aileen! They are so simple and tasty!