Pages

An Open Cookbook

An Open Cookbook

9.16.2010

Mediterranean Carrot and Chickpea Salad

I have gotten a few requests for the carrot salad pictured in the Gnocchi Party posting.  As you will find out, I find myself making a lot of salads made out of carrots in some form or another.  I have a good shredded carrot and jicama salad, carrot dip, carrot and apple salad with coconut dressing...the list is endless!  Carrots are such a versatile vegetable and can be paired with sweet and salty.  And one of the best and most concentrated sources of Vitamin A!


I want to add that this is SUCH an open ended recipe, where you can add other veggies like red pepper, green onions, different herbs like basil or cilantro, and different proteins and dried fruit, depending on what you have at home. 

I adapted this recipe from a fellow blogger's recipe, and she called for olives and dried apricots.  I used currants because I have this endless box of currants I want to use up.  I just have one more recipe worth of currants now, so you may see them star in one more dish.  And then I will move on to a big bag of dried cherries.



Mediterranean Carrot and Chickpea Salad
adapted from recipe on FoodieFabulous blog

3 large carrots, peeled, washed and cut into coins
1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1/3 cup dried currants
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Dressing

3-4 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
3/4 tsp sugar
Black pepper to taste

Make the dressing first, so the flavors can marry while you prep the salad ingredients.  Ideally, use a small food processor to blend all dressing ingredients together, this makes it into a creamy emulsion.  If you don't have one, whisk really well, or put all ingredients in a plastic container that seals well (such as those nice screw top ones), and shake them together.

Chop the carrots.  Drain and rinse the chickpeas.  Toss carrots and chickpeas together with currants and parsley.  Add dressing and coat all ingredients evenly.  Can be covered and stored in fridge or served immediately!


No comments: