Pages

An Open Cookbook

An Open Cookbook

2.27.2011

Minted Coconut Mango


I wanted a light accompaniment to my dinner tonight.  Lucky for me I bought a mango a few days ago.  I had gotten my favorite Indian dish yesterday (palak paneer), which was leftovers tonight.  I ate all the rice yeseterday, so I tossed the palak paneer with some leftover pasta.  This is something I have never done, and it was quite good!  Using up previously frozen food items really pays off, especially when it is stocked.  So a minty coconut and mango salad was a perfect ending to the meal.


To save time, I layered the mint leaves on top of each other before slicing them.








I have found this to be the easiest way, by far, to cut a mango.  Once you have made all the slices, you just bend it backwards and carefully slice the cubes off.  Then I cut them into even small cubes after this.  Or you can always use frozen mango if your grocery store doesn't have good looking mangoes.  Seems that every time I go to Whole Foods lately, they have a huge display of mangoes just begging to be taken home.

I had leftover mango salad tonight, so it will be a nice addition to my toast tomorrow morning.  If you added some red pepper flakes, it would make a nice chutney for a collard green wrap (like in last month's post) or on a sandwich.  Or puree it into a smoothie with yogurt!



Minted Coconut Mango

1 mango, cut into small cubes
Small handful of mint leaves (about 16), sliced into small ribbons
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 tsp honey
2 Tbsp coconut, shredded

Cut mango into small cubes and put in small mixing bowl.  Stack the mint leaves on top of each other and slice into small ribbons.  Toss with mango.  Squeeze 1/2 of lime onto mango and mint.  Mix in the honey.  Stir to fully coat.  Put in serving dish and top with coconut.  Ahhh refreshing!

No comments: